10 Facts About Soapstone
Consider this Soapstone 101. There’s a lot of information around about soapstone. We want to make sure you have the most accurate details.
We made a list of our “Top 10” soapstone facts!
1) Soapstone is impermeable and stain resistant. It’s easy to clean with mild soap and water, and no harsh chemicals are needed.
2) Soapstone is heat-resistant. Known for its thermal properties, it has been used for cooking and bakeware for centuries.
3) Soapstone countertops are consumer friendly. If soapstone scratches, the scratch can be sanded and eliminated by you, the consumer (visit our Care and Maintenance page to learn more).
4) Soapstone does not need to be sealed.
5) Soapstone is enhanced with our organic soapstone wax and soapstone oil. Wax and Oil does not seal the soapstone, but darkens (ages) it and allows for an even patina during the soapstone aging process.
6) Soapstone is a softer stone, because it contains talc. It runs from a 2.5 to a 5 on the Mohs scale.
7) Soapstone is a metaphoric rock.
8) Traditional Soapstone is naturally light gray, while harder soapstone are typically darker. However soapstone age and darken over time. Some soapstone varieties, like Pacific or Sabone, age with green tints.
9) Different varieties of soapstone have different veining characteristics. Each variety and each slab is completely unique.
10) Soapstone can be used for countertops, fireplace surrounds, baking stones, vanities, and tile.
For more information about our soapstone, visit www.gardenstatesoapstone.com.
Soapstone Countertops | Soapstone, Slate, Wood, and Marble Countertops