Slate makes a versatile material for countertops, sinks, and tiles that is both beautiful and sturdy. This beautiful natural stone has a great appearance no matter where you put it in the house and stands the test of time with minimal maintenance. Because of its unique appearance and color, slate has become a more popular choice over the recent years.
When you purchase a high-quality slate countertop or sink, we recommend treating. Slate is impervious; however, the top has slight porosity on the surface. Applying the Original Slate Oil ™️ at installation helps protect and enhance the beauty of stone. This Slate oil is easy to apply by simply wiping on and wiping off.
To apply the slate oil to countertops, sinks, or tiles you will want to use a clean cloth to apply the oil in a circular motion. Then, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the surface until it’s dry to the touch. When you clean slate, you’ll only need a mild soap and water.
What sets slate apart from many other natural stones is the ability to withstand acids or even harsh chemicals. While they are not necessary, don’t be concerned if they’re part of your regular cleaning toolbox. We simply recommend applying the slate oil after using these chemicals to keep it looking great.
You also don’t need to be concerned about scratches: many light scratches wash away with regular cleaning. If you have a deeper scratch, use a very, very fine steel wool to buff it out. Once you apply the slate oil, your counters will be as good as new.
- DO apply slate oil as often as you like to enhance and protect the countertop, sink, or tiling.
- DO use as all-natural products and gentle soaps and cleaners.
- DO use whatever cleaners are your favorite: no need to be concerned about damaging our high-quality slate.
- DO buff out larger scratches with very very fine steel wool when necessary
- DON’T worry about sealing this natural stone! It’s unnecessary.
- DON’T worry about scratches: they buff out easily.
- DON’T forget the stone is non-porous! Food or beverages won’t damage the surface
- DON’T let a countertop hold up your life: slate is extremely durable, heat resistant, and ready for anything.
Incredibly easy to maintain with regular cleaning and the occasional slate oil application, slate has become an increasingly popular choice for many homeowners over the recent years. By following these simple do’s and don’ts, your slate countertops, sinks, and tiles should last a long time and bring you many seasons of warmth and beauty.
The matte honed finish makes it a unique, but beautiful option for a kitchen with any design aesthetic.