When it comes to countertops, slate is growing in popularity.
It’s no surprise: slate is a consumer-friendly, natural stone that’s quarried locally. With a variety of colors from grey and green to red and mottled purple, it presents a wide range of selections for home renovations. Here are 10 facts about slate countertops you should know.
Facts About Slate Countertops
1) Slate is heat resistant.
2) Slate naturally occurs in several colors. Heathermore (Grey/Black), Green, Mottled Purple, Black in many colors and shades, are all options to choose from for a new countertop.
3) Slate is a metamorphic rock.
4) Slate has a slight porosity that makes it difficult to stain or etch. This makes it a consumer friendly material, allowing countertops to be anti-bacterial and easy to clean.
5) Slate countertops are easy to maintain. Scratches can be wiped off with a sponge and water. Deeper scratches can be removed with fine steel wool.
6) Our slate is quarried locally in the USA. It is the best, most durable slate for countertops.
7) Our standard slate is 1″ thick, with incredible tensile strength. It can be overhung 12″ with no additional support.
8) Slate’s durability and heat-resistant qualities insulate a home and ultimately lower energy costs.
9) Slate countertops do not need to be sealed. However, we recommend adding our organic oil to enhance and beautify the surface.
10.) Slate comes in a honed finish for countertops. However, it is available in cleft for tile applications.
Learn more about slate countertops.
Interested in a slate countertop installation in New York City or New Jersey? Contact us.